27 July 2007

Wine Recap

Right. So. My slothdom has reached an apex. Didn't actually pull my bones out of bed until 1230p today. Shameful! Why do I feel so guilty about being so lazy? It's summer - I have every right to sleep in like a teenager or laze around the house all day in play clothes. But it's summer - I should be out doing the things for which I have no time during the school year. Hmmm - maybe next week!


Anyhow, we had a lovely wine-tasting party Wednesday (er, Wines-day) night. Started with an Ecco Domani Pinot Grigio, which is so light that it would be perfect to chill down so it's almost icy and sip poolside. Next one was Dancing Bull Sauvignon Blanc. Fruity, pleasant enough to drink; tasty alongside fruit (peaches are so delightful right now!) and 70% cacao dark chocolate. Followed by my standby white, Lindemans Bin 65 Chardonnay. It's not oaky, so the fruit and lactic notes get to shine. It makes excellent fondue(1). Next was my second contribution, a Washington Hills Gewurztraminer. Less dry than I prefer, but boldly flavorful, which made up for the residual sweetness. A crowd favorite. Next came a Riesling two-fer - first a Schmitt Sohne, followed by Polka Dot. Not much distinction between the two, in my opinion. The Polka Dot has a cuter label. It would have been nice to have had a vertical Riesling tasting - a kabinett, spatlese, auslese, even a trockenbeerenauslese if we could find one. Next Wines-day, maybe! We wrapped things up with a local wine - Lakeridge Southern White. Florida can't sustain vitis vinifera grapes, so wines here are made from other fruits or muscadines. I don't know, I just can't abide muscadine wine. It has an exceptionally nutty aroma that is rather off-putting. The crowd liked the sweetness, though. But hey, muscadines are lousy with resveratrol, which may be beneficial.


(1)
Jen's Swiss Fondue
Good as an appetizer, better as dinner!

3/4 c. dry white wine - I like Lindeman's Chardonnay
8 oz. Gruyere, shredded
8 oz. Emmentaler, shredded
2 T. flour
garlic
nutmeg

In a medium saucepan, simmer wine and some minced garlic. Add cheese, handful-by-handful, stirring until cheese melts. If the cheese and wine do not mix harmoniously at this point, don't fret. Stir in flour and all will be well. Add a little freshly grated nutmeg. Serve with crusty multigrain bread cubes and thinly sliced apples.

Trust me on the apples. apples + cheese = :-9

No comments: