16 July 2007

Weekend Food Recap

Apparently, all I do here now is post pictures. Here's my attempt to rectify that. Somewhat.


So this weekend, I made some tasty food. I had book club on Saturday morning, which means brunch! Fresh Blueberry French Toast Casserole, Egg Scramble with Chives, Fresh Strawberry Salsa (strawberries, peppers, and onions - no tomatoes) with Homemade Tortilla Chips, and some caramelized bananas.

I've ruined myself with fresh tortilla chips. I just can't tolerate Tostitos now. The Whole Foods in Monterey (an Albertson's, too) sold some local brand of tortilla chips that were awesome - they came in thin and thick varieties, and they were definitely fresh - the thick ones were very much like what you'd make at home, frying up your own corn tortillas, but without all the oil. Our (Cost Plus) World Market used to sell some reasonably good ones - very thin, the kind you'd get at a Mexican restaurant, but I don't get over that way as much as I should. Once they stopped selling their super-fabulous margarita mix, I quit frequenting them as much. Anyhow, I ordinarily use canola oil when making fresh chips, but I decided to go with corn oil for this latest escapade. I kept my oil around 300 degF, and some of my chips turned out a bit brown, but at least I didn't have any greasy ones. I may try peanut oil next time.

Anyhow, then Saturday night, we met for our monthly supper club. This month's theme was Spicy Food, which Mr. Jenspin was not too keen on. But spicy doesn't necessarily equal hot, and there was plenty of food that wasn't fiery. A wonderful spicy potato dish that reminds me of a cauliflower and potato szabzi recipe I haven't made in a while, and also of potatoes I've had in tapas bars - I should have asked for the recipe, and I don't know who made it. Anyhow, I made truffles, rolled in ground red chile. Dark chocolate and pepper make a nice combination. A little chile powder in hot cocoa gives it a kick without tasting like chili; a little cocoa in your chili recipe gives it a deeper flavor.

Truffle ganache centers are exceptionally easy:

12 oz. dark chocolate (I prefer Ghirardelli 60% cacao baking chips - they have a fruity note that I like)
1/3 c. heavy cream

In a double-boiler (or just a metal bowl above a simmering pan of water), melt chocolate. Remove from heat and stir in cream. Blend until smooth. Allow the chocolate to firm up - an hour in the refrigerator or so - and roll into balls. Yes, your hands will be covered in melty chocolate. This is not a bad thing. Roll balls in cocoa powder, coconut, powdered sugar, red chile powder, cinnamon, sprinkles, anything - or dip into tempered melted chocolate.

More cream gives you a softer ganache, one you can use for filling cakes.

What am I going to do with all my leftover french toast? I have half a 9x13 pan, still. Hm. Breakfast for dinner, perhaps!

No comments: