22 November 2007

A Liveblogged Thanksgiving

Time to cook! Wheeee! Since I have the laptop in the kitchen with recipes, why not blog?

828a Someone got donuts this morning. Sweet.

835a Pies are in the oven.

Mom's Maple-Pecan Pie
1/2 c. sugar
2 T. butter
2 T. flour
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 c. corn syrup
1 t. vanilla
1 c. pecans (I usually over-pecan)
1/2 t. Mapleine

Cream together sugar and butter, stir in flour, then eggs. Add corn syrup, vanilla, and Mapleine. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Top with pecans.


Bake at 400 degF for 15 min, then reduce heat to 350 degF and bake 30 min more, or until done.

917a Making dough for dinner rolls. These and these, which I haven't tried before. I'm using my bread machine to mix one recipe of dough, and my Select button is acting hinky again, which is the problem of the last one I had. So I gotta call the warranty folks again. Grrrr...

943a Rolls are rising. I love wireless internet. Computing in the kitchen.

1015a Punching down dough.

1036a Bread for stuffing is toasted. I never liked stuffing - especially crap cooked inside the bird. Ew. I just don't like that texture of soggy bread - stuffing, bread pudding, centers of French toast. Yuck. But the stuff that I make, it's more like vegetables and apples baked with bread cubes - pretty dry, really. I'll post the recipe later.


1048a Wheat rolls have been coiled into muffin cups and are rising. Oat rolls have been rolled into balls, brushed with egg wash and sprinkled with more oats. All are rising. These wheat rolls are majorly fluffy. They rise like mad. I don't think my little muffin cups are going to contain them...

1139a Turkey breasts are de-brined, buttered, herbed, and in the oven. So are the gargantuan wheat rolls. Turns out two roll recipes were overkill.

1230p Taking a break!

110p Potatoes are chopped and boiling (well, almost), and stuffing apples, celery, garlic, and onions are simmering in chicken stock:

Dressing with Roasted Garlic and Apples
1 c. onion, diced
1 c. celery, diced
1 c. Granny Smith apples, diced
1/4 c. shallots, minced
2 T. butter
2 c. hearty chicken stock
2 T. roasted garlic puree
1/2 t. fresh thyme, chopped
1 T. fresh chives, chopped
1 T. fresh basil, chopped
4+ c. diced bread croutons, toasted (I use honey wheat berry bread)

In a large skillet, saute onions, celery, apples, and shallots over medium heat in butter until tender. Add stock and
simmer until liquid is reduced by half. Add garlic and herbs. Stir in croutons. Serve immediately, though I like to pile into a baking dish and bake (350 degF) until crunchy.

138p Plates set out. Now just waiting for stuffing and bird in oven. Corn pudding is out, green bean casserole about to go in. Potatoes boiling on the stovetop. The cranberry sauce is out of the can. Wine. I need wine.

218p Everything is ready to go - turkey is impeccably juicy. Primo. Just waiting for the pan juices to come to a boil so I can make gravy for the gravy-eaters. The Gravy Eaters. Sounds very Steinbeck. Or a Homer painting.


707p I don't know what was in that food, but we all zonked out after dinner. Well, apparently not all of us, because I woke up to find that pie had been had, plus all the dishes had been done and leftovers put away. It's a Thanksgiving miracle!

832p Mmmm - pie!


No comments: