27 November 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

I was tempted to
liveblog Thanksgiving preparations again this year, but the preparations are just not terrifically interesting.  

I'm in the midst of mincing vegetables for stuffing, and the roll dough is rising, but there are no grandiose preparations this year - or, at least, they are somewhat routine.  

Our turkey is already cooked - we let the local Kiwanis club smoke it - so it has been fragrancing the kitchen with every opening of the refrigerator door since yesterday afternoon.  But all that needs to be done is carving and reheating.  I still haven't had the mythical fried turkey, but I really want to try it.  Next year, perhaps.  Seems like a big outlay of cash for a fryer and oil, though.

Cranberries will come from a can - as they should - but I decided to forego the fresh cranberry pie this year, because I suspect I'd be the only one eating it.  I might mix some fresh ber
ries in to a few of the rolls.  Pecans too.  The pumpkin and pecan pies are done and resting peacefully (for now - their time will come!) on the counter next to me.  The pumpkin is very pretty - but it looks like my mother forgot to sprinkle nutmeg on top before baking.  That's my favorite part.  Drat.  It's just not the same if you sprinkle after baking.

I am going to try baking potatoes before mashing them, to see if less water in the potatoes makes for fluffier mash.  But it's at least a half hour before I need to even think about turning the oven on.  (Aiming for wheels-up on this dinner at 400p)

I don't want to chop the apples for the stuffing because they'll brown.   Green bean ca
sserole is going to be dump-and-stir-and-bake.  I'd like to roast some broccoli, but that doesn't need preparation just yet, either.  So, we're in a bit of a holding pattern right this second.

Meanwhile, I suppose I can take time to give thanks.  I'm thankful mostly for people.  So if you're in my life, you're on the list.  For (or maybe because I am) an introverted only child, I value my relationships beyond words.

Okay, I'm off to scrub potatoes and trim broccoli.  And maybe post a picture of the pies. 
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  I love you all.

No comments: