03 November 2008

Typecast

I have long been interested in personality types - particularly Myers-Briggs - ever since I was first "typed" at a cheesy leadership conference my freshman year of college.  Having never had a psychology course, I was amazed by the information, insight into why I do things the way I do them, and why I think the way I think.  [Sure, I'm not one for taxonomy and labels, and I realize these things can be abused, but it sure is a handy springboard for understanding people and how to relate to them - inclusive of one's own self.  And, sometimes labels do help make sense of that which is highly abstract, scattered, and complex.]  Of course, it was well-timed - the kick-off to the awakening to self that everyone seems to undergo as they move away from their parents and begin to discover who they really are.  Reading through the description of my "type" for the first time, I was floored by the statements that so clearly articulated what I knew to be true about myself.  I had always been introspective, but here I had psychologists pinpointing exactly what I couldn't gather together on my own.  It's hard not to fall in love with something (or someone) who helps you understand yourself - so I've always been fascinated by research into personality traits.

I have been helping someone figure out what they want to do with their life, and this seemed like a natural place to start.  First, to get to know this person a little better, and second, to help narrow down an infinite spectrum of possibilities.  Without doing a formal evaluation, this person appears to fall into the same type as me.  Which is kind of funny.   Reading through information on personality type for the first time in a while, I started playing the game in which I predict my friends' types.  I think I have an obvious ISTJ in my midst, and a clear INTP.  The rest are surprisingly tough to call.

Anyhow, in the interest of full disclosure, I trend towards INFJ, though I sometimes exhibit tendencies of ENFJ, and often toe the line of ISFJ.  All of these support that teaching just feels natural to me.  I spent several years as a research scientist, and in that work I was happily able to reconcile my love of science with my affinity for aesthetics and intuition (what other science but weather can best use one's intuition!), it just wasn't a natural fit, not like teaching is.   I've been turning over some ideas lately: the option of getting  back into pure science, or perhaps furthering my own education - and if so, opting for pure science or science education?  So maybe this rediscovery, the confrontation with my own personality, will end up being just as useful for me as for the person I'm advising.


Resonant Traits  (From www.personalitypage.com)
I know that, like a horoscope, one can read descriptions of any personality type and think "wow, that's SO me!", but these seem a lot more specific than Gemini, Virgo, the Year of the Dragon.  So, here, I will offer up the descriptors that seem to blink in neon on the pages for me.

INFJ

Artistic and creative, they live in a world of hidden meanings and possibilities.

They put a lot of energy into identifying the best system for getting things done, and constantly define and re-define the priorities in their lives. On the other hand, INFJs operate within themselves on an intuitive basis which is entirely spontaneous. They know things intuitively, without being able to pinpoint why, and without detailed knowledge of the subject at hand. 

INFJs have uncanny insight into people and situations. They get "feelings" about things and intuitively understand them. 

the INFJ themself does not really understand their intuition at a level which can be verbalized. Consequently, most INFJs are protective of their inner selves, sharing only what they choose to share when they choose to share it. They are deep, complex individuals, who are quite private and typically difficult to understand. INFJs hold back part of themselves, and can be secretive.

INFJs are concerned for people's feelings, and try to be gentle to avoid hurting anyone. They are very sensitive to conflict, and cannot tolerate it very well. 

They believe in constant growth, and don't often take time to revel in their accomplishments. They have strong value systems, and need to live their lives in accordance with what they feel is right. 

they have very high expectations of themselves, and frequently of their families. 
They have high expectations of their children, and push them to be the best that they can be. 

They have a natural affinity for art, and many excel in the sciences, where they make use of their intuition. INFJs can also be found in service-oriented professions. 


ENFJ

ENFJ's tend to be more reserved about exposing themselves than other extraverted types. Although they may have strongly-felt beliefs, they're likely to refrain from expressing them if doing so would interfere with bringing out the best in others. Because their strongest interest lies in being a catalyst of change in other people, they're likely to interact with others on their own level, in a chameleon-like manner, rather than as individuals.

They enjoy being the center of attention, and do very well in situations where they can inspire and lead others, such as teaching.

ENFJs do not like dealing with impersonal reasoning. They don't understand or appreciate its merit, and will be unhappy in situations where they're forced to deal with logic and facts without any connection to a human element. Living in the world of people possibilities, they enjoy their plans more than their achievements. They get excited about possibilities for the future, but may become easily bored and restless with the present.

ENFJs have a strong need for close, intimate relationships, and will put forth a lot of effort in creating and maintaining these relationships. They're very loyal and trustworthy once involved in a relationship.

An ENFJ who has not found their place in the world is likely to be extremely sensitive to criticism, and to have the tendency to worry excessively and feel guilty. 


ISFJ

The ISFJ feels a strong sense of responsibility and duty. They take their responsibilities very seriously, and can be counted on to follow through. For this reason, people naturally tend to rely on them. The ISFJ has a difficult time saying "no" when asked to do something, and may become over-burdened. In such cases, the ISFJ does not usually express their difficulties to others, because they intensely dislike conflict, and because they tend to place other people's needs over their own. The ISFJ needs to learn to identify, value, and express their own needs, if they wish to avoid becoming over-worked and taken for granted.

ISFJs need positive feedback from others. In the absence of positive feedback, or in the face of criticism, the ISFJ gets discouraged

They are truly warm and kind-hearted, and want to believe the best of people. They value harmony and cooperation, and are likely to be very sensitive to other people's feelings. People value the ISFJ for their consideration and awareness, and their ability to bring out the best in others by their firm desire to believe the best.

ISFJs have a rich inner world that is not usually obvious to observers. They constantly take in information about people and situations that is personally important to them, and store it away. This tremendous store of information is usually startlingly accurate, because the ISFJ has an exceptional memory about things that are important to their value systems. 

ISFJs have a very clear idea of the way things should be, which they strive to attain. They value security and kindness, and respect traditions and laws. They tend to believe that existing systems are there because they work. Therefore, they're not likely to buy into doing things in a new way, unless they're shown in a concrete way why its better than the established method.

The ISFJ has an extremely well-developed sense of space, function, and aesthetic appeal. For that reason, they're likely to have beautifully furnished, functional homes. They make extremely good interior decorators. This special ability, combined with their sensitivity to other's feelings and desires, makes them very likely to be great gift-givers - finding the right gift which will be truly appreciated by the recipient.


4 comments:

Hazel Langrall said...

wow, i never pegged you as an introvert, jen... this is enlightening. thanks for sharing with us :)

i'm the personality type that loves personality type tests. no really.

actually, i'm a classic ESTJ. read the description. explains a lot, huh?

Jennifer said...

I know! Nobody believes me, because I *act* like an extrovert. It's mostly an act. But if you had known me much younger, you wouldn't be surprised at the I. It comes out (stays in?) from time to time. :)

You are so ESTJ. And apparently in the right line of work for one!

Anonymous said...

INTP checking in.
Also, it is wise for you to also reference an ISTJ - according to a business study (n=4808), they are most likely at 19.45%*.

*http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/type-tables.asp

Jennifer said...

True, but I still maintain some indie cred with my INFJ, which, according to MBTI statistics (*), occurs in only ~1% of the general population.

(*) no citation - it's everywhere