15 March 2008

Spring Break

Though it feels as though I have squandered this break - in that I have not accomplished everything on my mile-long to-do list, and I didn't jet off to some spectacular destination - there have been some significant bright spots.

Yesterday, I finally went to Fresh Market, and I'm shocked and appalled I haven't been in this place before. It was only a few months ago that I heard about it at all, and since then, several friends have mentioned it. Much to my chagrin, I wish they'd said something to me before, but they all presumed I'd know all about it. Four years wandering this gourmet desert (okay, not really, but compared with what I had in CA...) It's similar to Whole Foods, but more affordable and without all the vegan angst. I mean, I don't feel like my dreadlocked co-shoppers are disdainfully eyeing my leather footwear. Fresh Market carries a lot of the same stuff as Whole Foods, but they're also not too proud to carry Peeps. This, therefore, is a store I can like - easily. Anyhow, a friend and I went shopping for party foods, but I came away with last night's dinner, this morning's book-club brunch, and other stuff with which to stock the pantry, plus tonight's comestibles. And the prices were not altogether unreasonable. Sure, I'll still buy my crackers at Publix, but I bought a marvelous take-and-bake pastry-wrapped chicken entree that was plenty for my husband and me to share for $5.99. Beautiful cakes for $8-14. Wines were comparable in price to most major outlets. Cheese and produce were a little pricey, but I have been ruined by Trader Joes.

It also provided an opportunity to drive through an area of town where I've really never been. That's not hard - with all the central-Florida sprawl, there is a lot of territory to cover. I know my main areas, but I resolve every break to go and investigate areas of town or the state I've not visited before. Even if it's as ordinary as driving around and popping into a shop or cafe as the mood strikes. I didn't do as much of this kind of thing this break as I wanted to. I also wanted to do a lot more reading than I did.

Well, for all the wanted-tos, I did enjoy just resting. School was continually in the front of my head all week, though, so it wasn't purely restful. I have a lot of work to do, for which I will sacrifice tomorrow. As much as I tried to suppress it, the thought of what needs to be done nagged at me most of the week. The end of school will be upon us swiftly. Rest will come later for the weary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Vegan angst. I love that phrase. It needs a poem or something! It is completely descriptive of what going to Whole Foods can be like though. I shudder at the thought of all natural pop. What's the point in that?