03 March 2008

Low Food, Part III

I'm pretty sure I said the following things today at lunch:

"I loves me my processed meats!"

"Better living through chemistry!"

and

"Mmmmm... nitrites!"


It was Hot Dog Day in the cafeteria.

And it's true. I do love the frankfurters. We get lunch every day in the cafeteria, so one of my favorite long-weekend-thus-I'm-actually-home-for-lunches indulgences is a batch of pigs in blankets. A Pig in a Blanket was my Very First School-Lunch Ever. In 6th grade. I used to buy milk in the cafeteria for lunch, but the rest of my meal always came from home; I was resistant to even entertain the idea of buying lunch at school (hey, my mom packed a pretty great lunch!). My principal finally convinced me I should give a school lunch a try. I still remember the contents of that first sectioned tray: Pig in a Blanket, some kind of cheesy sliced potato dish, sliced beets, and chocolate milk. It wasn't so bad (well, except the beets), and I became a daily buyer of school lunches, even through high school. If anyone knows where I can get my mitts on a Fiestada - a hexagonal Mexican pizza thing - contact me immediately.

Anyhow.

The lunch table seemed a bit incredulous that I would exult the lowly hot dog, but come on! They're good! Maybe not good for you, but they are tasty lil' tubes o' pig-parts. (To be eaten with mustard only; special provision for dill relish.) And if you like hot dogs, you should give them a try on pizza. Seriously.

My dad was never a major force in the kitchen - he does have his talents, though. He's the muscle behind cookie-baking operations, and the man makes a mean grilled cheese sandwich. The crown jewel in his repertoire, however, are his mini pizzas.

Dad's Miniature Pizzas
1 can cheap refrigerated biscuit dough

Pizza sauce
Mozzarella cheese

Toppings (my favorites: black olive and thinly sliced hot dog)


Separate biscuits and roll
very thinly. Place on a baking sheet and top with a schmear of pizza sauce, cheese, and toppings of your choice. Bake at 400 degF until crust looks done and cheese is melted. Trust me on the hot dogs. Go on. Try it. You know you want to.

For what it's worth, my dinner tonight was some kind of nutritional atonement involving whole-wheat pasta and fresh vegetables. It's going to be a long four weeks until the next HDD, but it's a pretty safe bet what my upcoming spring break lunches will involve.

1 comment:

Hollywood said...

Was just searching for the Mexican Pizza (feistada) with a friend of mine at work. Came across this post. Through Google I found this, through this I found 'fiestada'. Through that I found the Wiki entry for that. Through that I found Schwan's... unfortuantely, it looks like it's something that is only available to schools and such who buy in bulk... I am going to ask the Schwans guy next time I see him, but I need to get my hands on the fiestada!