04 February 2008

A February Resolution

One thing I've decided I need to do is get back into reading scripture. I've been meaning to read Isaiah for years now, and I'm not going to wait any longer. I also have a brand-spanking-new annotated copy of G.K. Chesterton's Orthodoxy, plus a discussion partner. The rest of my "resolutions" have crashed and burned are still waiting for departure clearance, but this is one I'm determined to take action on sooner rather than later.



In other news, I'm planning to make pickles tomorrow with a group of students - sour pickles (with dill conspicuously absent from the recipe), sweet pickles, and some pickled fruit (plums and pears). I love me my crunchy, garlicky Polish dill pickles, but I have never liked sweet pickles. They're the scourge of the relish tray, along with the green olives. I'm going to give them a go, nonetheless (the pickles, not the olives). Perhaps fresh sweet pickles will change my mind. Anyhow, this pickling venture starts off a series of food-preservation activities that will include some jelly/jam. I'm leaning toward lemon marmalade - or perhaps a killer pear jam recipe I discovered last year. Few teenagers have ever made preserves at home, and it's fun to introduce them to something so (unfortunately) foreign to today's kitchen.

No comments: