08 February 2008

ISO Adjectives

I need an adjective.

Specifically, I need an adjective for my style.

More specifically, I need an adjective for our home decor style.

If I see something that is our style, I know it. But to describe that style in the absence of symbols? Kind of difficult. It's sort of Mission, but without the Spanish. It's sort of Arts-and-Crafts, without the country. It's sort of modern European, but without the Ikea. It's sort of eclectic, but with a bit of focus. We don't shy from bold color, as our red sofas, eggplant-purple door, and rich tones of paint on the walls attest. We definitely tend toward squared edges and straight lines, but not exclusively. We like classic stuff, but with a modern twist. We like modern stuff with a classic twist. It's not typical wicker-and-palms Florida. It's not over-the-top gilded rococo. It's not spartan minimalism. It's warm, comfortable, and inviting. At least, I think so. I need to get an independent opinion.

How to sum all this up in a label or four? (shrug) So come over and tell me what my style is. We need to throw a housewarming party anyhow - we'll just task our guests with the adjective search.

No comments: