12 February 2008

Sunrises and Citrus


The sunrise was beautiful this morning. I mean, how could a sunrise not be beautiful, right?

Over the past few years, I have cultivated an appreciation for sunrise. I used to think of sunrise as merely the opposite of a sunset, and sunsets don't require getting up early. But anymore, there's something special about watching the ink from the night sky get washed away, giving way to orange and pink splashed across the sky. And sunrises and sunsets are spectacular in central Florida - a delightful bonus of relocation from California. By virtue of my commute, I get the privilege of witnessing the sunrise almost every morning, except for summer and a few weeks surrounding daylight-savings changes. Today's sunrise was more vibrant than most. Enhanced by mid-level clouds, the orange in the east was like fire. It was short-lived, as many beautiful things are, without the flickers of pink that linger on higher clouds. There's much to being present for the dawn. As much as I enjoy sleeping in, too much makes me feel wasteful. Besides, how could you not be seduced by sunrise when you have a camera in your hand? Sunrise shots like this make the early alarm, jet lag battle, and pre-dawn driving escapades worthwhile.



In other news, I squeezed the most fantastic orange juice this weekend. Normally, freshly-squeezed juice is just thin, watery, and anemic. I pass a citrus stand ("Honor System - put your money in the box") twice a day on my drive to and from school. Friday, after a discussion of the merits of locally-grown produce, the stand proffered four large bags of tangelos. I stuffed my bills into the box and brought one home. The next morning, I thought I'd section a few, but my cutting was met with a deluge of juice. So, I put down the knife and reached instead for the reamer. Man oh man. This stuff was rich, full-bodied, incredible.

No comments: