26 October 2007

Homecoming

So I'm back at Purdue for Homecoming weekend, with a science alumni board meeting tomorrow, tailgating festivities Saturday morning, football game Saturday afternoon, then back home on Sunday (missing the Mythbusters Sunday afternoon - that's a whole other rant I don't want to get into right now). I've never come home for homecoming, so it's kind of fun to be part of it all. Met some guy at the rental car counter who is back for his 50th reunion and some fraternity thing.

Anyhow, our flight was delayed from Cleveland, which means I just got to Lafayette about a half-hour ago. Driving I-65 from Indianapolis, I was awash with a flood of memories. I'm sure there will be quite the deluge tomorrow, too. I'm not going to even operate under the pretense that I'm not going to indulge in nostalgia. I'm just giving into it. It's too big a force to resist.

Via the scan button (took a few minutes to figure out the radio - why is it that American car stereos are so difficult to figure out?), I stumbled across an FM station playing 24-7 Christmas music. ?? People. It's not even Halloween yet!

It's perfect autumn weather forecast for the weekend - turtleneck-sweater-and-boot weather. I can't even explain how excited I am about this; I have grown weary of Florida and its 80s.

2 comments:

Jess said...

We are friends because you say "a whole other" instead of a whole 'nother."

Enjoy your leaves and your crispness and your boots--like maple icing on the fall-nostalgia cake.

And you do cake and icing well.

It is wierd on campus without you today.

Jennifer said...

Mmmm. Maple!

Funny you note that. As I was writing "whole other", I was thinking, "you know, I bet people actually type 'nother' here." This is why we're friends, indeed.

I was giddy yesterday. Giddy. Just looking around, I had what must have been the goofiest grin. It's been off-and-on rain - that miserable, damp, chilly, grey autumn rain. Positively divine. I forgot how lovely bright-leaved trees with dark rain-washed branches are. I've not even bothered with a coat - though I could be rocking a sweet peacoat if I'd had some foresight. Oh well. My board term is three years - plenty of time.