01 September 2007

Once Upon a Time...

... I wrote a blog.

So school has started, hence the post sabbatical. With some of my closest colleagues and friends gone, and many of my closest students graduated, it almost feels like a completely different school. When we started inservices, I just had this unnerving feeling - like waking up from a coma to find that a lot of things had changed. But, the year seems to be off to a decent start. I'm teaching six classes a day, five different preps (uh, yeah...), but they're all courses that I've taught before, at least. There are a lot of new faces, and I don't have a lot of returning students - at least ones that I've had in class before. I really try not to, but it's very easy to look at this crop of students and wonder, "who is this year's (previousstudent'snamehere)?" Everyone is so different, I shouldn't think that any student will fill the shoes of a previous one. But I can't help wonder which ones will be dismissed? Who will be valedictorian? Which ones will seek me out as a mentor? Which ones will influence me just as much as I influence them? It's a time of infinite possibilities - the beginning of a new school year - and those of you who know how idealistic and optimistic I am can understand how that excites me to no end!

My AP class is gigantic. Well, gigantic for me - I had three students my first two years, six students last year (which I thought was big). This time, I have twelve. Twelve! Grading lab reports in a timely fashion will be challenging...

By the way, Tic Tacs now come in Cherry Passion blend - cherry (red) and passionfruit (yellow). No word on whether this is a temporary flavor, or if they'll be around for a while. When you see them, buy them. Pick out all the yellow ones and send them to me. Now, go do it.

No comments: