15 August 2007

Low Food

So I've already admitted to liking some rather base food. A couple days ago, I destroyed my gourmet credibility with one of my friends, so I'll happily admit in a public forum that I like Jell-O. I own this cookbook and have made several recipes in it. (1) And yes, there are, indeed, initial joys to warrant the title. I made myself a Poke Cake yesterday, pictured here. Oh, it's so wonderful - I haven't made one in years. I'd heard about them, but the first time I ever tried one was in my college dining hall. This one isn't nearly thick enough, and I probably used a bit too much Jell-O, but I don't care - it's still good. And the texture - the gelatin soaked into the cake firms up when refrigerated. Mmmmmm!

Jell-O Poke Cake
1 box white cake (I prefer Duncan Hines "Classic White" - prepare as package directs)
1 box Jell-O (any flavor, I prefer "red")
1 c. boiling water

Bake cake as package directs. When cake is cool, poke all over with a fork. Combine boiling water and gelatin and pour gelatin over top of cake. Refrigerate and frost with whipped cream. Or, this frosting:

Whipped Frosting
2 envelopes Dream Whip
1 (4-svg) package instant pudding (use White Chocolate for pure white frosting, Vanilla if you don't mind it a little yellow, or any other flavor as your needs dictate)
3/4 c. milk

Combine packages of powder with milk and beat until stiff. Frost cake.


Speaking of that frosting, using Pistachio pudding mix to frost a pistachio cake (make another white cake, dumping a package of Pistachio pudding mix in the batter) makes for a tasty treat.

As other "low food" goes, I freely admit I like hot dogs. Pigs in Blankets were my favorite school lunch, and I still make them now. (Chicken hot dogs + refrigerated breadstick dough = yum!). Speaking of hot dogs, if I don't have hot dog buns, I'll make hot dog sandwiches - split a hot dog in half lengthwise, and then again crosswise - line 'em up flat on a hamburger bun with some mustard. And if you're making homemade pizza, hot dog slices are surprisingly good toppings.

I am also not ashamed to admit that I like Cool Whip. In fact, I personally prefer it to fresh whipped cream. And the French Vanilla Cool Whip available in November-December? Heavenly. I could take down an entire container in one sitting, left to my own devices.

(1) Used copies starting at a penny! You're just depriving yourself if you don't buy one.

1 comment:

Troy Urquhart said...

I used to think we could be friends.

But Jell-O cake? Hot dogs? Cool Whip?

It's bad enough that you're eating these things, but I certainly hope you're not sharing these things with the culinary club.