06 June 2007

Book Lust

So after my class(*) finished this afternoon, I popped into a thrift store near campus. First thing inside the door are the bookshelves, and I never hold out too much hope for good finds. I've been spoiled by the ridiculously good - no, phenomenal - Alachua County Library Sales, for one, and it seems as though thrift shops just don't stock the kinds of books I like. Used book stores, yes, but thrift shops, not so much. So consider my surprise when I find all kinds of good stuff today!


Today's finds:
  • Brave New World, Aldous Huxley (on my to-re-read list for summer)
  • The Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger (on my to-re-read list, also one of my July Book Club books)
  • A Separate Peace, John Knowles (currently re-reading, but it's the other of my July Book Club books, so I bought it to give away)
  • All Loves Excelling, Josiah Bunting III (blurb on the front from the Washington Times reads "Should stand on the same shelf as A Separate Peace and The Catcher in the Rye." Are you picking up on a trend...?)
  • Peace Like a River, Leif Enger
  • A Wedding in December, Anita Shreve
  • The Sunday Philosophy Club, Alexander McCall Smith (why can I never find his No.1 Ladies Detective Agency series in used bookstores? v. annoying.)
  • The Secret Diary of Anne Boleyn, Robin Maxwell (I can't remember if I've read this one, or one like it - I don't think I have)
And the best part? Apparently it was 50% off day, because I got all those for 6.42 + tax. Sweet!

The rest of my summer reading list (gotta get reading if I'm going to make any progress:

  • Prayer: Does it Make Any Difference, Philip Yancey (small group selection)
  • Through Painted Deserts: Light, God, and Beauty on the Open Road, Donald Miller
  • The Curve of Binding Energy, John McPhee (I highly encourage reading of any John McPhee)
  • The Headmaster, John McPhee
  • Common Carriers, John McPhee
  • Notes on a Scandal, Zoe Heller
  • In Revere, In Those Days, Ronald Merullo
  • High School Confidential, Jeremy Iversen
  • The Omnivore's Dilemma, Michael Pollan
  • The Republic, Plato
  • Slaughterhouse Five, Kurt Vonnegut
  • Somebody's Heart Is Burning: A Woman Wanderer in Africa, Tanya Schaffer (Potential Future Book Club Selection)
So many books, so few days. Looking forward to 22h on planes in a week!

(*) I have much to type about this class I'm taking. More later, either tonight or this week.

No comments: