19 February 2012

Hawaii Delights


Had a good grocery outing today.  I think I've become completely desensitized to Hawaii food prices.  The numbers that used to give me pause no longer do.  I passed up some local lilikoi butter - but I might wait until I make some headway on my apricot jam, with some scones I hope to make later this week.  I'd like to go to the Whole Foods here and see if they have double cream.  Maybe I should reserve judgment on grocery prices until I see what that stuff commands!

One thing I see in the store often is this stuff called Butter Mochi.  I have been tempted on the last few outings, but can't quite justify the price for something I'm not sure I'll like.  I think I will.  I like regular mochi, which some think has a wonky texture, so the addition of butter can't be much more than gilding the lily.  But, still.  Anyhow, the rice flour that's used to make mochi is not so pricey, so I bought a box and came home and researched some recipes.  Found one that I'm looking forward to trying this week!  I might make half as directed and the other half with a little cocoa blended in for a bit of a Ted's chocolate-haupia pie riff. I shall report back!

The rainy season seems to have returned.  Right after we arrived, it seemed like we had gentle rain showers every evening and morning, sometimes intermittently throughout the day. Rainbows too!  But that seemed to stop in January.  We've been getting more showers again in the evenings - including a heavy one right now.  Friday morning, I left the house in a dreary rain, and halfway on the way into town, the sun broke free of the clouds, as if summoned by the David Crowder song that was on my ipod at the time.  It was one of those mornings in which I just couldn't believe I get to live here.  Unspeakably beautiful.  And I get to experience it. Every. Day.  I am so incredibly grateful to get to be a part of it, even as merely a witness - to be a participant in the glory of God's creation here.  It would go on being spectacular, even if nobody is here to see it.  But surely it's all magnified somehow, by someone who notices it.  

And, you know, maybe that can be said of people, too.  Something is catalyzed when another takes notice of someone's magnificence.  May we all have such a catalyst, or else be that catalyst.

Peace and love, friends.


No comments: