20 November 2011

Chex Mix, Hawaii-Style

So I passed by some Crispix mix in a store a few weeks ago that had furikake in it. (a Japanese seasoning for steamed rice that has sugar, salt, sesame, and seaweed in it - don't turn up your nose until you try it, it's good!)  I love love love a good chex Mix, but was unwilling to pay the confiscatory price they were asking, so I started searching for recipes and found this and this.

I adapted the recipes to what I had and scaled it down to one pan (and the popcorn, while I'm always game for popcorn, just seemed to be too much of a textural contrast with the cereals - maybe on its own, it could be good).  Also, I just can't see dumping an entire bottle of furikake in.  Maybe it's my mainlander tastes, but I think that much furikake would make it taste very one-note.  I put in less than half and I thought that was plenty.  You could still get the sweet/savory/salty thing without any one flavor domineering.  I didn't have Tabasco, so I substituted in a few shakes of cayenne pepper - and could probably have used a little more.  I don't like nuts in my chex mix, so I swapped in more cereal for them.  And when I poured the sugar goo into the pan, it seemed like way too much, so I wound up adding at least another cup of (combined) cereal and pretzels.  I also think it wound up a little greasy, so I cut back on the oil just a bit.  And don't use the furikake that has bonito flakes in it.  Unless you like fishy chex mix.

Furikake Chex Mix

6 c. cereal: Corn Chex, Rice Chex, Honeycomb 
(I like 3c. Rice Chex, 1c. Corn Chex, and 2c. Honeycomb)
1 c. pretzels (I used pretzel goldfish, because, hey, they're cute)

0.5 c. butter
1/4 c. + 2 T. sugar
1/4 c. + 2 T. corn syrup
1.5 T. soy sauce (shoyu here in the islands)
1 T. worcestershire sauce
1/4 c. oil
Dash red pepper
2-3 T. furikake

Line a large roasting pan with foil.  You'll be glad you did this, because the syrup gets super-sticky as it bakes.  Heat oven to 250 degF.  Pour cereals and pretzels into pan.

In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat and stir in sugar until it dissolves.  Add corn syrup, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, oil, and pepper.  Pour syrup over cereal in pan and stir well to coat.

Bake for about an hour - maybe longer - until it is crunchy.  Stir every 10 minutes.  Stir in the furikake after 20 minutes.  If you don't have furikake, you can do what others have suggested and use a mix of toasted sesame seeds and a little salt.

Make sure you store this quickly in an airtight container or bag because it sucks up moisture and gets sticky quickly, even if you don't live in the middle of an ocean.

Very ono.  And remarkably addictive.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is furikake and where do you get it?

Jennifer said...

It is a condiment made of tiny bits of dried nori (the seaweed surrounding sushi), sesame seeds, salt, a little bit of sugar, and a variety of other flavorings. It lends a savory and pleasantly ocean-y flavor to rice, fish, etc. We can find it in the grocery stores here, but if you're not in the islands, try an Asian grocery, or even amazon.

Blue 2901 said...

We made this for a Hawaiian themed party and it was a huge hit! I love it! We can't find furikake in Wisconsin very easily, so I searched and found a recipe. Awesome snack!

Anonymous said...

I had a quick question. If I wanted to double the batch in the roasting pan, would it be recommended or would it mess with the quality of the mix?

Jennifer said...

You probably could - though I suspect you'd need to bake it longer. Unless you have a really large pan/oven where it could spread out.