14 March 2009

Kitchen Konfessions


I've yet to find a pancake recipe that surpasses Bisquick.

There!  I said it.


I've munched pancakes all around the globe, and yet, I haven't found any that I like better than what I make at home with Bisquick.  Okay, truth be told, I do fancy it up a bit - I use the extra-fluffy recipe, with its triple-action acid-base chemistry1, to produce a magically voluminous cake.  And I fry them in a little more oil than most so they get a ring of crunchity goodness around the edge, a trick I picked up on an elementary-school-era sleepover with a friend.  And maybe a handful of pecans or some banana slices here and there.  But other pancakes are just anemic and blah.

Now those are pancakes!



1  3 NaHCO3 (s) + C6H8O7 (aq)  -->  3 CO2 (g) + 3 H2O (l) +  Na3C6H5O7 (aq)
and
NaHCO3 (s) + 2 Na2H2P2O7 (aq)  -->  2 CO2 (g) + H2O (l) + 2 Na2HPO4 (aq)
and probably a little
2 NaHCO3 (s)  -->  CO2 (g) + H2O (l) + Na2CO3 (aq)

2 comments:

Hazel Langrall said...

you are a nerd of the highest caliber, my friend. i love you

Eunil Cho said...

oh wow
food makes me hungry
and those chemical equations make my head spin!
@@