08 April 2008

Japanese Potatoes and Performances

I don't have time for cohesive writings on transcendentalists, but I have a few things in the works. Not on transcendentalists.

So, when I have more time, remind me to write about personality "types".

Meanwhile, tonight, I had dinner at a teppanyaki steakhouse, which was fantastic and helped quell my growing Japanese-food craving. The chef stir-fried up some cubed potatoes with my beef. I love meat-and-potatoes, but I never would have thought to add potato to Japanese food. Turns out it's really tasty.

Remind me, when I have more time, to devote a post to a directory of Central Florida restaurants I have enjoyed.

Watching the chef's performance tonight, I was reminded of a long-simmering realization: my desire for the arts is going unsatisfied - mostly a result of finances and time. When I was an undergrad, I joined a campus organization that provided ushers for shows and lectures that came to campus. As a reward for 15 minutes of "work" showing people to their seats, we ushers got to stay and watch the show. It was perfect - not only did ushering foster a talent of gracious and hospitable interaction with the public, it cultivated a taste for the performing arts. I got to see dozens of fantastic shows each year (many for which I probably wouldn't have considered buying a ticket, but was glad to have seen), for nothing! As a graduate student, I was asked to join the advisory board for the Friends of Convocations, which afforded me interaction with artists at exclusive events, too. Then we left college and spent eight years wandering an artistic desert. Fast-forward to last weekend. A colleague offered me tickets to Spamalot at the downtown performing arts center, and I realized that it was only the second time I'd ever been down there in four years. Now, I realize that I don't have a lot of free time, nor do I have a lot of disposable income (it turns out that theatre tickets in the real world are spendy!), but this is just pitiful. I really think I'm missing something in my life, and it just might be chamber music, symphonies, and touring musicals.

I don't know how to fix this. I guess I need a wealthy benefactor. Any takers?

No comments: